MANDATORY GEAR/EQUIPMENT ITEMS
MANDATORY SWIM GEAR - Athete
- Neoprene Wetsuit - Full Length (must go all the way to wrists, ankles, and neck)
- Neoprene Swim Cap
- Neoprene Socks/Booties (non-webbed)
"RECOMMENDED" BUT NOT MANDATORY SWIM GEAR - Athlete
- Neoprene Gloves (non-webbed & only allowed 54 degrees or under)
- Vaseline or Aquafor on exposed skin
- Tinted and clear pair so swim goggles for choice based on conditions on event morning
MANDATORY BIKE GEAR - ATHLETE
- US-CPSC Inspected/Stickered Helmet (most helmets in the US meet this standard)
- Sunglasses (tinted or clear) for protection from sun, weather, and debris
- Reflective bright neon cycling jersey or vest.
- Solid front white light - On and visible at all times.
- Blinking red rear light - On and visible at all times.
- Flat changing kit/bag with at least one tube, CO2, bike lever, and Allen Wrench
- Sufficient nutrition and hydration for at least the first 35-miles.
- Cell Phone (charged with Race Joy App Enabled)
- Basic First Aid Kit (only mandatory item that can be carried in support car)
- Bear Spray for the last 13 miles while on Bird-to-Gird Trail.
"RECOMMENDED" BUT NOT MANDATORY BIKE GEAR - ATHLETE OR SUPPORT
- Extra bike lights or at least replacement batteries
- Extra flat changing supplies (if your support can carry a tire pump, even better)
- Extra nutrition and hydration
- Comprehensive large first aid kit
- Comprehensive toolkit
- External battery cell w/charging cable for phone
- Toilet Paper
- Road ID bracelet or anklet (worn by athlete)
- GPS bike computer or wristwatch (worn by athlete)
- Water resistant jacket or thermal base layer
- Arm warmers
- Leg warmers & Tights
- Shoe covers and/or toe covers
- Extra socks
MANDATORY RUN GEAR - ATHLETE- ENTIRE RUN
MANDATORY RUN GEAR - SUPPORT- LAST 10-MILES OR IF SUPPORT IS RUNNING THE ENTIRE COURSE THEN MANDATORY THE ENTIRE COURSE FOR THEM AS WELL.
- Bear Spray
- Camelback or something similar (to carry all gear/hydration/nutrition and gear below).
We will have hydration/nutrtion at:
- Swim Start - Unmanned Station w/Gatorade & water
- Transition - Swim-to-Bike (T1) - Unmanned Station w/Poweraid & water
- Bike Course - NONE - Up to your support team to support you.
- Transition - Bike-to-Run (T2) - Manned Station w/Poweraid, water, Coke, ice, gels and sweet and salty snacks.
- Run Course - Miles 7, 17.5, 20.5 and the Finish - - Manned Station w/Poweraid, water, Coke, and sweet and salty snacks.
- Cell phone (charged/charging with Race Joy App Enabled) must have compass app.
- Lightweight, water resistant jacket and/or long sleeve thermal base layer
- Hat - Something, anything, to cover your head. Can be a hat or beanie.
- Running gloves - These don’t have to be super thick or heavy.
- Small first aid kit (bandages and gauze)
- Whistle & Compass (compass can be a digital app on your phone).
- Small external cell battery and cord for cell phone.
"RECOMMENDED" BUT NOT MANDATORY RUN GEAR - ATHLETE OR SUPPORT
- Bear Bell and/or Bear Horn
- Trekking Poles
- 15-16 miles of moderate to very steep uphill, 5-6 miles of moderate to very steep downhill, with a remaining 4-6 miles being gently rolling.
- Trail Shoes
- High Route is about 6 miles paved 20 miles dirt/rock
- Low Route is about 10 miles paved and 16 miles dirt/rock
- Toilet Paper
- Areas where there should be restrooms available:
- Swim Start- Indoor near laundry area.
- Transition- Swim-to-Bike (T1) - Portables
- Transition - Bike-to-Run (T2)/Mountain Checkin/Finish Line - Day Lodge Parking Lot - Portables
There may be random pull off scenic outlook areas along the way on the bike with restrooms but those are not ours specifically, they are public. You can use them but we don't list exactly where all of them are. Other than that... The world is your toilet. We ask that you use only as much toilet paper as you need and be as discreet when going as possible while not wondering off the trail. Stay safe and cover it all up the best you can when you're done. Be humble and respectful when at all possible.
- Bug Repellent
- Extra Socks
- Arm Warmers